Wlecome to my Mordekaser Guide. This is my first guide and I am still learning so bear with me on this. I've remoduled it quite a few times and will keep making changes to it.
My build is pretty straight foward AD-damage build with a bit of sustain to it. Mordekaiser has his shield so he doesn't need too much deffence.
If you are to lazy to read everything skroll down to the ''Most important facts in one glance section''
For everyone else that will read the whole guide, tank you in advance, I hope you enjoy it.
In This guide I hope to sooner or later implement all main ways mordekaiser can be played, obviously I will elaborate on the way I play the most, but I find it important to know how others might play him to fully understand the Champ.
Mordekaisers main task in the game is to farm/push and during teamfights get that nice ghost that will almost ensure you the teamfight win.
One of the most important things to when picking mordekaiser is to know that he is basically only a counter pick. Never,ever pick him as first champ for any lane. He can be countered so easily and rendered useless that there is no point to it. Yes of course he is still an awesome champ but if you are constantly CC'd and therefore killed or you can't farm you are a burden to your team.
Pros - ConsPros:
- can get allies out of sticky situations
- one of the toughes non tank champion in game
- shines with a team that has alot of CC and AOE effects
- wicked Ult
- doesn't have to pay too much attention to deffencive items
- can fill almost any role in a team
- one of the best farmers
- es numero uno, heuheuheuheu
- No CC , probably the biggest downside to morde
- can't spam his abilities early game
- is squishy early, has a hard time fighting against bruisers early game
- is easily countered with right champs
MasteriesNow I'm not saying that there is only one build for morde, I believe a 9/0/21 9/21/0 and 21/9/0 work well on morde depending on your palystyle, also you will have to adjust you item build.
The 9/21/0 is a tanky playstyle for when you're team doesn't have a real tank and alot of squishies.
The 21/9/0 and 9/0/21 are more for mid lane or an offesive gameplay or if you have a tank in your team.
The best way to choose which masterie is the best is to compare what you gain with each choice.
Gain from 9/0/21
4ap/4% cdr/10% magic pen/ (rank 1 utility isn't very usefull so i won't count it) / 2% movement speed / 3% spell vamp / 20% time on buff (which you should get from killing the carrys and is pretty nice overall) / 5% xp / Sage (again you should have some kills) / 15% cdr on summoners (always good).
Gain from 21/9/0
4ap / 4% cdr / 10% magic pen / dmg dealt +1.5% / 1ap per lvl / 5% ap / 6% dmg to target under 40% (executioner) / 6mr / 2armor / 6health per lvl / 30 hp.
Gain from 9/21/0
6 AM/6 MR/180HP at lv18/3HP reg every 5 secs./30HP/3%moevemntspeed/8.1%CDR ar lv18/3% more HP/10% tenancy/4AP/4% CDR/10% MP
From this we can see that you gain a bit of starting AP some more damage and a bit of defence with the 21/9/0 methode. This is pretty nice because it support morde's early game. Mordekaiser is pretty good late game, so we want to focus on early game advantages (but not toataly neglect late game).
The utility tree (9/021) is a good choice because of the 5% exp you get, with this you will probably be able to outfarm anyone. Also the CDR, Spellvamp and runic affinity are extremely nice lategame as well.
The Defence tree (9/21/0) offers more resistance and healpoints, which is inportant early game. The CDR and movementspeed are also nice on Morde. This tree however is very reliant on your team. Early game you will not do alot of damage. You are an offtank and will never be able to do as much damage as with the other trees, also the build is different and supports a more defencive play style. Many may think that morde can only be played aggressively, this is wrong, mid game with the help of your team you will almost be unbeatable, with the bit of damage you do and the amout of defence and HP as well as your shield, you will be an unstopable tank, of course you need to rely on your teammates for the damage. Lategame is when morde shines here, he is pretty mich unstobaple because of his Defences and HP and his damage is farely high (as I mentioned never as high as if you were going pure offensive).
RunesHere is my Runepage when playing defencive with a 9/21/0
I picked the standard Runes for a tanky Mordekaiser because they work well on him and his role as an offtank and they are not to expensive. I use 2 HP Quints as well as a movementspeed Quint because HP is extremely important for Morde early game and the movementspeed is extremely good when chatching up to an enemy because Morde is really slow.
Here is my Runepage when playing offensive with 21/9/0 or 9/0/21
You will have to experiemnt a bit and figure out what is the best for you.
Other viable Quints are: 3 movementspeed / 3 HP / 3 Spellvamp / 3 AP or any combination of the previous.
I would only get ''Great mark of Insight'' any other Marks are a waste.
Instead of armor you can also get HP reg, I find it to be less effective but if you like it go ahed.
I would get MR if its flat or per level runes is up to you. It really depends on your playing style, who you paly agains (high elo or not) as well as if you can comunicate with you team (per TS for instance). Flat runes are only usefull when you can finish the game early on.
However I have letely been using ap per lvl, and these seme to work nicely with a more aggrsive buld and playstyle.
Other Options: cdr, cdr/lvl, ap/lvl, magic pen (don't really like magic pen though)
Ignite is a must on Morde!
Using ignite with your Ult is just awesome. You ulti can be countered alot more easily when you do not have ignite on your enemy. There really is no discusion on wether to get this or not...
As a secont utility spell I have thre options:
- Ghost: My favorite summoner spell out of the three. It can be used to escape from an enemy gank, or after a failed teamfight. It can also be used to engange a teamfight, catch up to an enemy or generally allow you to move over the map faster.
- Flash: Also a viable spell. I would definatley take this if the enemy has champions which ultis requite you to use this to get out (Jarvan,Nunu,Galio). Also you can evade ganks or get out of a teamfight fast. I don't usually pick this because Ghost gives you alot more distance in total.
- Exsaust: This spell I usually use when going mid. This spell should only be used when you are experienced with mordekaiser, since you will then have no escape skill left... With this skill you can catch an enemy that is running or engage a fight by poping this on him right away so he'll take the brunt of you damage. Or for getting aways from a gank by slowing the fastes enemy.
Cleanse: if you are facing a CC heavy team
Heal: you should leave this for your support, however if you feel you need it, maybe going 1v2, or you dont' have anything else.
Teleport: It's ok I wouldn't recommend it tho, flash and ghost are better mobility spells
Clairvoyance: Leave it for support
Clarit: you don't use mana, so no!
Garrison (only available in Domnion): to be honest I dont know... have never used this on morde, I assume if you're going to be taking alot of turrets it's viable, try it out!
Promote: viable in Dominion otherwise no.
Revive: you shouldn't be dying this much!
Smite: you're not a jungler!
Surge: pathetic boost, just no...
Passive: Iron Man
30% of the damage dealt from abilities is converted into a temporary shield, absorbing incoming damage. Shield regeneration is half effective versus minions. Minimum shield strength is 120 health, and the maximum is 630 health. The shield decays by 3% per second.
Iron Man is one of Mordes' perks. The ability if basically a second HP bar that is recharged by doing damage. This is waht makes Morde an awesome bruiser. he doesn't need to pay too much attention to his deffence items since he has an awesome shield!
This passive also allows Morde to be a bit more aggresive in fights due to him gaining ''Health'' and being able to sustain much more than at first glance.
- When at a tower with low HP an enemy might towerdive, if you have your shield up you have more HP than at first glance, and you might be able to kill the unexpecting attacker!
- In rare cases it is even an andvantage to stop and fight and not to run when being ganked (obviously not 5v1) because your shield will give you more sustain throughout the fight giving you an advantage to those players that underestimate him! Especially when facing fast chars (like Shaco), if you don' have Quints or skills that make you faster you will most likely not outrun him, then it is better to chance it and fight, with luck and skill you might get the kill or prepare it for a teammate.
An important thing to note is that the shield ''stacks'' with Ar and MR, so the more defence you have, the harder it is to kill you. That is why you should buy some defence items. You are not a pure damage caster like Brand who doesn't really go for defence but you also don't need alot of defence like other champs do.
Q: Mace of Spades
On next hit, Mordekaiser swings his mace with such force that it echoes out, striking up to 3 additional nearby targets, dealing his attack damage plus 20 / 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 bonus damage (+40% of ability power). If the target is alone, the bonus damage is increased by 65%.
Cost 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50 health
In fights obviously a nice spell to cause a bit more damage. You can also use this to creep farm however I would stick to lasthitting. If you want to quickly push a lane you can use this as well since, if you hit the closest minion to you, it will send a shockwave of three bits to the next three nearest targets.
You can also use this if the opponent constantly kiting you. just use it on the neares minion and if the enemy is standing right next to it it will hit him as well (however this is very hard and takes practice)
- this spell will give you the most HP when using spellvamp since it doesn't use too much HP and does quite a bit of damage.
- this spell will reset your auto attack, use this combo as often as you can!
W: Creeping Death
Unleashes a protective cloud of metal shards to surround an ally, increasing their armor and magic resistance by 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 and dealing 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 / 80 (+15% of ability power) damage per second to enemies in the cloud for 6 seconds.
Cost 26 / 32 / 38 / 44 / 50health
Creeping Death is your shield, it gives you some Mr and Ar, but with the bonus that it also deals damage.
Before an imminent fight you should use this on yourself , the extra Ar and MR will help you alot if you are focused (when playing against champs like Gangplank be sure to watch when he uses his Parrrley and quickly use your shield).
If you know the enemy will focus one of your allies instead of you, you should put this on them, for instance when going into battle you can throw this on the tank (if its an early teamfight and he doesn't have that much Ar and MR) or better to use it on you AD carry or AP mid-champ, preferably AD because he will be in the midst of the fight, however if the AP mid-champ is being focused it might not be a bad idea to use it on him.
Tip: pressing ALT + W will use this spell on yourself. (I however advise you to change your Keybindings so that you automatically cast it on yourself when pushing one keay. I for instance have it locked on my V key, this is EXREMELY useful!!)
- You can use this ability in lane, cast it on your second soldier minion, since the first one is getting the enemy minions aggro, and you will get your shield up even tough you arent near the creep (this is very useful if you are fighting rangers or being zoned).
- This ability is also useful when you can't quite catch up to your allies when they are chasing an enemy. Cast this on the allie nearest to the running opponent, it might hit the opponent while you ally is still out of range or it will give him the additional damage that he needs for the kill.
E: Siphon of Destruction
Mordekaiser damages enemies in a cone in front of him, dealing 65 / 110 / 155 / 200 / 245 (+40% of ability power) magic damage.
Cost 24 / 36 / 48 / 60 / 72 health
This Spell is Mordes bread and butter!!!
This is the spell you should max first since you will be doing most of your damage and harass with this spell!
At level 1 the damage is not noticable, however once it hit level 2 it does quite a bit of damage. However the counterside to thie spell is that it uses alot of your HP prevent you from spamming.
The easiest way to replenish you shield is waiting till the enemy champion is near his creeps. Run forward and use Siphon of Destruction on him an the creeps (it's really easy once you've done it a few times).
- If an enemy champ is familiar with morde he will try to evade this attack, you can use this to your advantage by running up to the creep wave when the enemy is near, the opponent will automatically think you are going to use your spell and he'll retreat, however you don't use the spell and just lasthit for a while untill he comes back, then you get him!! ;)
- Note that morde will wait a smal fraction of a secont before casting this (and he will stop running when you cast this) so when chasing someone and you are barely in range don't use it, hope the opponent makes a mistake and you can get him then. Also the range of the attack is not quite accurate. You will still hit an opponent even if he is out of your range by the time the animation is cast, if you cast the spell and the opponent was in the rius he will be hit! (it is a verry delicate line when he is hit or not so it will take some practice to know when you can get him and when not!)
R: Children of the Grave
Curses an enemy champion for 8 seconds, stealing 3 / 3.5 / 4% life per second, plus an additional 0.1% per 50 AP.
If the target dies while under the effect of the curse, their soul is enslaved and will follow Mordekaiser for 30 seconds. During this time, Mordekaiser gains 25% of their ability power, and attack damage. The spirit gains 65 / 75 / 85% + (+100% of ability power) of Mordekaiser's adjusted damage, ability power, and 50% + (+100% of ability power) of Mordekaiser's health.
Pets can be controlled by holding the alt key and using the right mouse button.
This spell is the most dificult to learn with mordekaiser. Not because it's hard to use, but it's hard to know when to use it on whom to use it or if it's ''safe'' to use it.
There are alot of counters to this spell and you will have to learn the mby hart to be a sucesfull morde player.This ability is extremely nice and there are a few ways you can use this spell. This spell will deal damage over time on your enemy (DoT) and you will be healed by a certain percentage. (HoT)
There are two main ways to use this spell:
- using it for surviavbility (mostly solo top or if you are focused in a teamfight)
- using it to get a ghost or taking care of a threat to the team (for which it is used most often)
- Solo Top: You will want to use your ult when you are on a solo lane, low on HP and there is no one to back you up. Just use your ult on the enemy with the most HP and you will start generating. A nice side-effect is that they will probably assume you are going at them of have a jungler waiting and they will back off.
- Teamfight: During a teamfight and you are being focus you will want to cast your ult on the tank. (if you can't get the carries down in time). Why put it on the tank? Simple: your ulti takes a percentage of your enemies health, since tanks usually have the most HP and are not focused first (or shouldn't be) you will get the full extent of the heal.
- AD Pet: If you want a Ghost pet you will want an extra champion on your team. You want to change the odds to your advantage (pft... who doesn't...) making it a 6v4 fight!
- AP Pet: There is an exeption when you should get an AP ghost instead of an AD ghost. Not because it does more damage in certain situations, no...you should get it if the champ is a threat to your team. Say midlane fed the enemy brand, so you engage a fight and get the AD carry (that isn't fed), and then brand comes ults the whole team and you're dead... not so nice. However if you get brand right away you have a major threat out of your way and can go ahed killing the rest of the team.
- Hint: When you have a Ghost please,please,please use it! Always use your ghost, you can always do something. Go push a tower, go kill dragon, gank the jungler or help out in a fight somwhere near by... I've seen soooo many Morde-players just letting their ghost trail behin them...
- Note that while pushing a tower with your ghost the tower will automatically switch to target your ghost, even if he was targeting creeps before. And if your ghost attacks another player and you do as well the tower will switch to target YOU!
An interesting fact is that you can ult another mordekaisers ghost...
Here’s a list of the best AD champs to put your ult on
Best Characters for damage (Ranged Attack Damage)
- Miss Fortune
- Teemo (AD)
Good Characters for damage (Melee Attack Damage)
- Kayle (AD)
- Lee Sin
- Master Yi
- Sion (AD)
- Warwick (AD)
- Xin Zhao
There are other AD champs, however I believe these are the most important and there will normally be adleas one of these champs in game. Also if you can choose I would always pick up a ranged ad carry, usually they do more damage, and they take less in ghost form since they will probably not be in the midst of the fight.
Here is a list of AP champs you should put your ult on if they are a big threat:
These guys can do a tremendous ammount of damage to your team, you should focus them in a fight if they were doing well during lane phase!
R and E should be maxed first.
Obviously you should have your Ult maxed as early as possible. Your Ult has more utility than at first glance. This is the reason players will choose mordekaiser.
With this spell you can ether get a pet ghost which will help you greatly in teamfights or while pushing a lane. Or you can use it as a HoT to regenerate life. Overall a veryuseful Ability.
Sinphon of Destruction is next in line. It may cost the most life however is you bread and butter when it comes to harassing. This spell will keep your shield up and does quite a bit of damage eraly on in the game (when ability reaches lvl 2) and late game!
Now the next two spells are either situational or a preference matter:
I usually choose Mace of Spades over Creeping death. Mace of Spades grants you more HP in a shorter time for you spellvamp than creeping death does. You only need to hit your opponent once and it's done, Creeping death takes 6 seconds to do the same ammount of damage.
Creeping death is usually used for more sustain in fights, for creepfarm and a bit of additional damage.If facing tough opponents alone, especially if they have alot of CC or are rangers , you might consider geting it before Mace of Spades. Also for creep farm purposes you will only need lvl 1. If you are getting zones pop it on the second mele creep and let your shield generate while getting EXP.
In addition sometimes when I play with a squishy lanepartner (I rarely do) I will choose this (especially if it's random team and he's an aggro-banana jumping into fights with low hp) to give them some more defence.
I suggest this to new players for the extra defence = more sustainability.
Note that it will take a little practice to know when to use corectly (not as much as R but it is definatley more complicated than Q wich is braindead DMG!!!)
Tips & TricksSmall Tips & Tricks to improve your gameplay with morde:
1. Your ult is you most usefull spell:
- know what counters there are, and know how to counter the counter (^^)
- know when to use it! It's not only good in offence (-> go to Skill section -> ulti)
- cast ignite before you cast your ult, since ignite had a lower range
- It will only do auto attacks
- it will also help replenish your shield
- use it to scour, push lanes and attack towers
- only hit minions if you get a ton of cs for it
- try to always hit creeps and champ
Skill sequence in battle:
>>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>>
Tips that will help you improve your general gameplay:
- bind you spells to keays you feel komfortable using
- level a spell by clicking str + the spell key
- use a shortcut for selfcasts
- learn how to smartcast (not necessary on morde, but definatley helpful)
- map awareness! Check map every 10 seconds. Don't forget to ward
- Lasthit: by pushing a and then left click on creep with low HP
- press shift and right mouse when going into bushes to att enemy immediately!
- check your items to see if they have any active spells
Here is a video explaining Smartcast:
credit for this video goes to Voidwatcher
Countering Children of the Grave and other information
As mentioned before there are diferent reasons for using your ult.
If you want to use it for HP regeneration you will need to be caustious of the following items and abilities:
Deflects the next incoming spell. This is very anoying for you if you don't pay attention. If a player has the effect active just hit him with another one of your spells before using your ult, otherwise you will just waste it.... This shield is pretty easy to see, the champion will have a silvery orb around him.
Similar to Banshee's Veil this removes all debuffs from the user (it's an active effect). You will have to check periodically if one of your opponents has this.
Her shield works like Banshee's Veil. Just cast other spells on it and wait till it's gone to use your ult. Her shield is a darkblue-silver orb around her, look similar to the orb of Banshee's Veil and is easy to see.
As with Sivir his spell Shroud of Darkness will shield him from the next spell.
The second reason for using your ult is to get a ghost. Obviously all counters above also apply in thie section, however I did not wanto to repeat myself.
It's passive effect is to revive a champion back to life, so if you pop your ult before this effect is on cd you will not get a ghost. This effect is also easy to see there are just two silver rings flowing arround the champion.
This is why you should take ignite with morde, to reduce healing effects. Even though the effect here is minimal it can still your opponents life, it's mot too big of a threat but you should alaways but ignite on enemies that have this in their inventory. Since ignite has a smaller range if you sue ult first and they flash away your ult can be countered more easily.
Elixir of Fortitude
Same problem as with health potion. though this is an instant (140-235) HP reg... Be careful when ulting people who have this, they will be expecting your combo.
Not to big of a threat but I wanted to be thorrow, this items effect is to grant its user 4 second imunity, if used right they might evade dieing to your ult.
stupid Bird (as the OddOne would say) Her passive is so annoying. If you ult her when her passive is not on cd you don't get a ghost
However if you are sure her passive is on cd then she is good choice as ult-target. She may not be AD but she is a big threat to your team in a tf because of her ultimate (annoying aoe...) and if you get her as a ghost you can use her passive, that means if the ghost-anivia dies she will become an egg and with this she can tank a toweror dragon longer than other ghost could.
Not too big of a threat, however with his passive, mana barrier, if his HP dropps below 20% he will gain a magical shield absorbing alot of damage. It's not impossible to break it, but it is advisable to just switch targets.
Thanks to his passive you will not recieve a ghost untill the passive is over.
like Kog'maw, you need to wait untill the passive is over
If she activates Intervention your abilities will do no damage to your opponent, so obviously if your ult stops while this effect is active you get no ghost, if you ult is still active afterwards you will get the ghost.
With her skill diplomatic immunity she can do the same thing as kayle, however thankfully she can only do it to herself.
Shaco/Wu Kong/Le blanc
All of these champions can create doubles, if you ult their doubles instead of them and they die, you don't get a ghost.
One of the champs I hate the most in game, crazy ammount of damage and he never dies -.-* His ultimate will keep him alive for a few seconds, when fighting him just wait till he pops his ult the nyou put ignite and your ult on him and he's done for.
If he ults the champion you will not get a ghost, even if you kill his ghost.
(thanks to Procedural for pointing this out)
I love playing with him and as him, as morde vs him he is my absolute hate champ. It's like his ultimate was created especially to f*ck you up... His ult is like a guardian angel with a 40 second cd... (which means he'll have it ready in almost all teamfights...)
Fighting against him is hard. Your best bet is to CC him so he can't use his spells and then nuke him or the carries down in time. (If you know you're going up against him I suggest you get champs with alot of CC like Leona or Riven)
Item BuildsNow I usually go with my ''main'' build, the one I posted above, however there are alterations you can and sometimes should do.
I'll post a list you can choose from to build your own personal build:
- Ar/HP/HP reg ->The dorans way, personally I don't like the dorans items since they do not build into anything, buta viable item.
- HP reg ->Is a nice item and build right into your main build. + if needed.
- + movementspeed/pots ->Pretty standard starting items.
[imgext=]+boots (see section below about boots)
Early Game goals:[/highlight]
- Usually you will get this after your main build, for the obvious reason that it gives you tons of dmg!
- Get this if you are vs. a heavy burster (like annie,veigar etc...) and need the HP.
- Use this item if you are having a really hard time on your lane and need the sustain.
- if you didn't get this during the lane phase, it is a must have!
- if you notive the enemy team is getting a lot of MR
- I love this item since they redid it! It hase all you need for Morde and it's active is just insane! I always get this!
- usefull if you wanta bit more dmg and a bit of MR, the passive is nice of course, however i rarely get this, mainly because you waste the mana, and there are items that suit you better
- alternative to wota, I only get this then I'm in the lead and want the extra dmg.
- if you are having trouble in lane and not getting alot of gold. Sell it later
- by far my favorite item on morde with MR
- I don't see myself buying this often on Morde. I'm not a real tank and there are simply better items for Morde.
- unfortunatly you waste the mana but one of the best items to counter burst AP champs, and nasty ult's
- as always a nice item for carries, if you don't wan to be the focus of the enemy team, get this.
- as mentioned above, very little MR
- if they have a lot of CC.
- Very nice item, not my first choice but great on morde especially if you have no CC in the team or lack an initiate.
- only get this if no one else in your team hase it and you absolutly need it's passive.
- only get this if they have a really heave AD team
- as always a nice item for carries, if you don't wan to be the focus of the enemy team, get this.
- my favorite Ar item. It's active is awesome and the stats are all you could hope for.
- pretty much best choice
- against heavy AD team (do not combine with thornmail)
- against heavy AP or a CC heavy team
- if you are playing aggresivly and need CDR (combines usually with alot of spellvamp)
Wards and other consumablesWarding may usually be the supporters task, however as I already mentioned you middle name is farming and wards are SOOOOO important, especially if you are solo top you will have to ward!
Alot of people think it is a waste of money, they are wrong, ther is no if ands or buts about it, warding is essentiell, map controll will might win you the game!
If the enemy team has a jungler you MUST ward adleast the lake bush to prevent ganks, it has saved my life so often in the past!
What kinds of wards do exist?
1. Sight Wards (75g) should be placed regularly at important places for map awareness
2. Vision Wards (125g) should be placed at Baron and Dragon late game to destory enemy wards. (not really necessary eraly game). In addition sometimes the enemy will have champions that can go into stealth mode (Temmo, Twitch...) with this ward you will be ablte so see them. It is more surprising than an oracles (because they can see that you have one) and it's cheeper, so viable for laning phase.
Why is warding important?
Wards are giving you map awareness.
And what is map awareness good for?
- If you can follow your enemies actions, you might be able to counter them
- Preventing ganks, if you can see the enemy in time, you can back out.
- Controll over Buffs,Dragon and Baron
Where should I place wards?
Wards should be placed in important locations on the map and locations from where you can see more than one route.
There are good places to place a ward and there are not so smar choices where to place a ward:
- lake bushes to prevent ganking: put it in the middle, if you put it at the one end the tip of the other end will not be uncovered.
- in the jungle: try to place wards so they can see more than once path, preferably also a buff. Here is a good example for that. This wards gives vision to 4 paths and blue buff. When the enemy moves through the jungle he will most likely pass through one of the paths.
As mentioned before the most important places for warding are Baron and Dragon. If you have dominance over them you've probably won the game.
I would suggest you using a vision ward, because your enemy will probably be warding this area as well and with you vision ward you will uncover their ward and you can destory it!
This image is showing some of the most common places for wards. Credits for it go to Panglot.
- 1. First priority: Here are the optimal places covering the river and the way down to Baron/Dragon.
- 2. Second priority: The blue/red buff - wards as I said cover a lot of ways thats why they are second priority. You know when your enemy is taking the buff or just passing trough one of the many ways.
- 3. Third priority: The best for the mid lane is not the bushes right next to your butt, but the bushes a little further. That way again you will cover more ways and also you will see the gankers earlier.
- 4. Fourth priority: The fourth priority wards are good for getting vision into the enemy forest. They are best used in combo warding where you can cover huge area with only few wards.
- E. Escaping. Certain Champs (like Jax) can jump to a ward and to safety
A picture of where to place the wards exacly:
If you want to learn more about wards I can highly recommend Panglot's
Warding helper - More than your eyes can see ( http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/warding-helper-more-than-your-eyes-can-see-54337 )
Just a fun vid concerning the importance of warding and map awareness:
From the League of Legends Valoran Video Contest.
Utility: you are now able to see invisible things (vison wards and chaps like Evanlyn)
Duration: untill you die
Hint: Use this in late game when facing chmapions that can make themselves invisible or to kill enemy wards. Early game you should stick to vision wards since they are cheeper, don't go away if you die, and have a larger range. You will stay in lane anyway so no need for oracles at this point.
Utility: grands 12-22% Attack Speed,based on champion level, and 4% Critical Strike chance
Duration 4 minutes
Hint: You don't really need this, just get it when your item build is done. Get this alongside the other two elixirs
Utility: adds 20-40 AP, based on champion level, and 10% cdr.
Duration: 4 minutes
Hint: Always get this at the ened of the game when your build is complete, or during the game if you know there will be a teamfight soon.
Utility: grands 135-240 HP, based on champion level, and 10 Attack Damage
Duration: 4 minutes
Hint: I wouldn't recommend getting this, only get it late game with both other elixirs.
Utility: restores 150 HP over 15 seconds.
Hints: useful early game, a must when going on a solo or mid lane
Utility: restores 100 mana over 15 seconds.
Hints: Morde doesn't use mana
Understanding SpellvampYes I have a seperate champter just for Spellvamp. Why? - because I think it is an important topic to cover. As I'm sure alot of players don't know how it works, since it doesn't work the same as life steal. So I checked out what the LoL forums had to say about it and here is the result:
Spell Vamp is a bit more complicated than Life Steal.
Basically if your damaging ability doesn't proc Life Steal (abilities like Mystic Shot, Double Up, and Parrrley do) then it will almost always use Spell Vamp, even if the damage dealt from the ability is physical or true damage. This means that abilities such as Reckless Swing or Feast (true damage) or Spear Shot (physical damage) utilize Spell Vamp.
Something to note about Spell Vamp, however, is that there are two different values of Spell Vamp. Single-target spells, such as Malefic Vision, Reckless Swing, and Spear Shot, have 100% effectiveness when it comes to Spell Vamp. In other words, if you deal 200 damage with these single-target abilities and have 50% Spell Vamp, you will be healed for 100.
However, multi-target abilities such as Tormented Soil, Incinerate, and Heartseeker Strike, have 1/3 effectiveness for Spell Vamp. If these abilities deal 200 total damage with 50% Spell Vamp, they will only heal you for 33, but if you deal 200 damage to 5 enemies (totaling 1000 damage) you will heal for 166 health.
(This was said by Kismet, QA Analyst on League of Legends Forums)
This means all your spells benefit from Spellvamp. However you have to distinguishe between single targets and multiple targets.
You ultimate is pretty easy, it will always be a single target which means you will always get the full value of your spellvamp.
However Mace of Spades, Creeping Death and Siphon of Destruction can all cause damage to more than one opponent. If this is the case you will only recieve 1/3 of your spellvamp value. This means you should always try to hit the enemy solo if you are trying to get the max damage out of your spell.
When using spellvamp you can often do without health regeneration. Also all items that give you Spellvamp aso give you AP, which is really nice for morde!
Howevery I would still recomend you buying health pots early game.
In my Build I have implemented , this will give morde some nice spellvamp. Now i usually play with other champs that use ap and i always ask them to get one as well because 50% is just awesome (please not u can only stack it 2 times per team, all players can buy it but only 2 auras can be active at the same time!)
Early GameMordekaiser is one of the best solo laners in game because he is such a good farmer. Mordekaiser can
play many roles but solo lanes are usually the best for him. (see more to this in the adjacent section).
The most important thing to learn with morde is not to use your spells carelessly. Now why should I learn to lasthit if morde is such a good farmer? There are a few reasons for this:
- Since your spells cost HP you are prevented from spamming them.
- You do not want to push your lane too much, if you do so you will overextend and leave yourself open for a gank.
- You should always have your abilities prepared to fire at the enemy champion.
In generall during the lane phase you should try to only las hit your minions, never intentionally use your spells on them to farm. You should hit the minions if you can hit the champion as well since this will add to your shield. If your shield is high enough you are able to start a ''fight''. Since you have your shield your opponent will do little damage to you. You however will get on his nevers harassing him the whole time. Maybe you can even do enough damage to force him to go back and to miss out on gold and EXP or you might even kill him! Always remember to ward your back, check if the enemy is not coming to gank you! Once you leave your tower range you should check the mini map every few seconds (as long as you are not in battle), and you should always check it before engaging in a battle.
When you have fully master Morde and lasthiting you might want to try to zone your opponent so he will miss out on xp and gold, if you do it sucessfully it's AWESOME, however if they have a jungler he will probably come to assist his teammate so take care!
Try to keep the creep wave near the middle lane or toward your side of the lane, but not close enough for
the enemy creeps to be in tower range.
Before you hit level 6, when you opponent becomes aggresive and attacks you head on you should not stand your ground and fight, use the little range you have. If he has jump abilities like alot of assasins do then hit him with you Mace of Spades, then use Creeping Death on yourself and retreat, in the process of retreating use Siphon of Destruction on him. If he doesn't have a jump ability but you notice he wants to engage use Siphon of Destruction on him first, put Creeping Death on yourself and then if the enemy is near enough use Mace of Spades, if he is not following anymore leave him, don't rush back just to end your combo...
If you have you upgraded boots as well as a ward a viable tactic I found is to push the lane really fast till my enemy starts to tower hug, then go for their jungler or maybe for a gank depending on your neighbor and the enemy he's facing. (-> see Countering Jungler section)
The only real negative aspect about Mordekaiser, that really bugs you early game is that he has no CC. In erly game you are mostly alone in your fights so you will have no CC available, and you don't have the burst damage you get at end game either...
Positions Morde can play
The two common possitions for morde:
- Solo top 1v1
- Mid lane
You will rarely see this, but you never know:
- Solo top 1v2
Solo Top 1v1:
Follow the instructions in the early game section.
Some extra info to solo top versus one player:
- know your enemy, at solo top it is crucial to know as much as you can about each champion you will be facing. Since on the top solo lane you are left to defend yourself ,and no one can get to you in time when a fight starts, you will need to know how to evade enemy combos and what the enemies weakness is. As an Example: You are top lane versus Renekton. When he moves towards you and maybe ignores a lasthit be prepared for him to jump at you. In such an instance throw on your Creeping death and move towards your tower. Use the strategies posted in the early game section, while moving pack hit him with your Siphon of Destruction. Fighting him head on is NOT an option. It's an AD bruisers advantage if you stand and fight...
- always ward. On a solo top lane you have no other choice, you are very vulnerable to ganks.
- Lee Sin
If the players don't suck with these champions you will at best have a hard time laning against them. Thanks to riot nerfing Mordes shield he can no longer fight champions like this head on, so always retreat, I don't care if the enemy sneers and you or makes snide remarks, it will be their undoing, most of them become over confident and towerdive... this is where you've got them, they may have incredible burst damage and a tough shield, but so do you, burst them down and use your ignite and Children of the graves combo on them when they get below 1/4 HP.
If by chance your opponent stars zoning you (this can happen, don't feel ashamed, ask for more ganks from your jungle or assistance mid lane, get over your pride to win the game. Then watch replays and see what you could have done differently) but Creeping death onto your second mele minion and try to get into Siphon of Destrution range to hit a few creeps. If you can always stand near enough to get exp, you don't need to lashit yourself if it's too dangerous.
In todays meta Morde unfortunatley hase a really hard time on top lane. Most of the top-laners can burst him down without morde being able to do much. After lvl 6 it gets easier.
Solo Top 1v2:
Use the same methods as described above and in the early game secion.
Facing two opponents is alot harder than going against one (even if the one is Renekton...). When solo top vs 2 you will always have to play defencive. You will have to look out for following champion combos:
- Champion with heavy CC and champ with nuke damage. Morde is pretty squishy early game so if they stun/root you and do alot of burst damage you're done for.
- two rangers: worst thing that can happen to you... even worse if they have rangers with CC (like ashe). They will prevent you from getting CS (crepp score) and regeneration your shield. Also they will be ablte to attack you while still being out of tower range, and since you can't recharge your HP you will be taking damage...
other champs to watch out for:
Be EXTREMELY careful when facing Blitzcrank[champ/blitzcrank.png] + a champ with heavy dmg or CC, you need to CONSTANTLY watch out for his grad...
You will also have to be warry of taunts (especially [champ/rammus.png]rammus's one -.-*) these are nasty little skils where they will nuke you down while you are helpless...
The most common role for Mordekaiser these days. Mordekaiser is a verry strong mid-lner, however can also be a verry weak one. As mentioned before never pick him up as first pick, NEVER. If he is counter-picked you are screwed and you are a burden to your team. Basically what counters morde is hard CC, kiting and being bursted down in the mean time. What this means is you shouldn't go up against champions like Ryze, Swain or Cassiopeia.
Another important thing to note with mordekaiser is that he can't really depend too much on last hitting, he has to farm and push a lane, which means you are open for ganks. That means you and your team really need to ward. No wards, no pushing, no farm and morde becomes less effective...
In mid just play a little more aggresivly than top lane. ALWAYS WARD!!, or you will lose your lane. If you are good and are ahed with CS (or you can easily keep up) you might roam a bit (not too much), maybee infiltrate the jungle. Always be careful while doing this as it may be your undoing but if you can kill the jungler or secure a kill top or bot while not loosing CS and not allowing your mid lane opponent to push or roam themselves it's almost a won game!
Countering JunglersAs briefly explained in the previous section, Morde is really nice for counterjungling. He can push a lane really fast be in and out of the jungle before anyone notices and then just continue farming and harassing in lane.
Now you will have to be very careful when doing this, you can be easily ganked by the jungler (if you are after the jungle creeps and have cooldown on you abilities when he attacks you) or by a jungler and the lane mates.
- If you are only after the creeps I would suggest you only do this in midlane and only kill the banshees. The Golems on top are to far into enemy territory and the Red takes to long.
- If you are only after the jungler himself and not after the creeps, you should put up wards periodically in the jungle to check his movement and strike when you get the chance, if you do get it you will have to take care that his lane mate will not get to him or you in time. Have an exit strategy/rout (e.g. Flash/Ghos) prepared.
It is a risky business but worth it, if you can disrupt the junglers pattern you will steal XP and Gold and make him more insecure. This also works nicely if you have a jungler and you can coordinate ''jungle ganks''
However for you to be able to do this you will need to know the jungle routs and respawn times.
are the usuall Jungleroutes for AP champs or mana reliant champs
this one is usually used by AD champs
place wards and watch their jungling process for a few minutes to know their routine (these are not the only viable routines!!)
The following image is the routes you can take when you have pushed lane and are confident you will run into no one alse, besides the jungler:
Here are the respawn times:
Small creep camp (Golem/Wolf packs) - 1:40
Lizard Buff - 5:00
Golem Buff - 5:00
Dragon - 6:00 (first spawn at 2:30)
Baron - 7:00 (first spawn at 15:00)
Warith - 1:40
Here are the buffs you get from RED and BLUE:
This unit's physical attacks and single target damaging abilities apply a debuff that slows the target's movement speed by 8 / 16 / 24% for 3 seconds and a dot that deals 10-50 (10 at levels 1/2, 15 at 3/4, 20 at 5/6, etc) true damage twice. If the buff holder is slain, this buff is transferred to the killer.
with Runic Affinity: 3:00
This unit regens 25 flat mana regeneration per 5 seconds and 1% mana (or energy) per second and has 20% cooldown reduction on their abilities. If slain, this buff transfers to the killer.
with Runic Affinity: 3:00
by this we can see how nice they are:
a) You can spamm attacks (blue -> CDR / Mana reg)
b) You can slow and DoT your opponent (Red -> reduced movementspeed per lvl / DoT per lvl)
(I hope I can add a few more details about a few junglers to look out for.)
Mid GameMig game starts about when 1 or 2 towers are down.
By this time you should have your boots, Rylai's and Will of the ancients or adleast Hextech gunblade.
In mid game you will try to help out other lanes. It is advantageous to move as a group or adleast as couples to prevent ganks from opponents, however it is not a must like in late game.
As Morde you should farm as much and push towers as good as you can while not putting your teammates at a disadvantage!
Also if your whole team is prepared you should try to start a few teamfights, if your team starts these you will have a slight edge. You should pick the territory you feel safest in to teamfight. Don't fight near an enemy tower or in a cramped space if the enemy as alot of AOE.
Before you engage in a teamfight poke at your enemy a bit with your E and ask other players in your team to do likewise (some champs have awesome pokes, like Nidale with her spear) If you see anyone out of rank (especially if its a carry) initiate the fight! Burst the AD carry down and get that ghost, making it a 6v4 fight!
Note: if your team fed an AP champ you might want to focus him first, he might not be such a good ghost but he is a big threat to your team!
If you have Will of the ancients and you are a confident player I would always suggest taking 1v1 chances, there are feew champions that can beat morde head on!
Late GameYour last item should always be situational. If you need more damage, get more damage, if you need more Ar or MR then get it, don't just stick to your build no matter what happens, a good player is flexible.
Apply the samce tactics as in mid game. Protect your carries, try to get a Ghost, and try to controll Barron.
By this point it is highly recomended (a nice way of saying do it or die :) ) of sticking together as a team. Solo runs will result in feeding the enemy and making you easier to kill in a teamfight.
As offtank you are always one of the first in and try to burst down their carries (don't forget ult!!) as well as taking care of your own caries!! If you see them being attacked, use your creeping death [skills/mordekaiser/w.png] on them to give them some sustainability and switch targets, most likely it will be their carries attacking your caries if it's the tank,WW,trynd etc... or simmilar champs attacking do not focus them, save them for last, they have a sh*t load of HP and you need to focus on the squishy burst dmg guys.
Late game Barron plays a crutial role in the game:
The buff you gain from Barron is incane and will often be the opponents doom.
Let me give you an example:
Not too long ago I had a game where we were dominating the enemy team from early on in the game. We had a 12 Kill advantage and got a bit to self confident. We didn't stick together and overextended alot. Through this the enemy was able to pick a few of us off one by one and then do barron, my teammates that were alive couldn't do anything to prevent them. Then with the Barron buff they started pushing. We went in to fight them as a whole team, confident we could win, and they took us appart... And thanks to the damage everyone has at the end of the game they were able to destory our base before we were resurrected...
Let this be a warning to you! Never walk alone, don't ever forget to ward Barron!
- 40 ability power
- 40 attack damage
- 3% of your maximum health in health regeneration per 5 sec.
- 1% of your maximum mana in mana regeneration per 5 sec.
- 300 gold and 900 experience points
- 40 ap = Blasting Wand = 860
- 40 ad ~ B.F. Sword = 1650
- 3% of health as regen/5 with 2000 health ~ 60/5 = 4 Regrowth Pendants = 1740
- 1% of mana as manaregen/5 with 1000 mana ~ 10/5 = a Meki Pendant + a Faerie Charm = 570
with Runic Affinity: 4:48
Late game loosing one teamfight will usually cost you the game because of the burstdamage everyone can do... so do not underestimate Baron's nice buff!!
Team FightsI'm going to reapeat this one las time, just to make sure you got it =P , you are NOT a tank. If you were to die before you could cast a singe spell after engaing (which would be the case if they have a few CCs) it is a big setback for your team. If a tank goeas down first it's not such a big deal usually he will CC the enemies and make them easier targets for you, you however have no CC and you can do a sh*itload of damage plus you have a very nice ult you should definatley use to your teams advantage.
If you do not have a tank make sure your whole team is ready, and that those with CC know who to cast it on...
Now the best case cenario for a team fight is: The tank engages, followed by all CC's your team has to offer. Ether focus the AD carry or the largest threat with your CC's (please make sure the champs you are focusing are squishy). Then when the enemy AD carry is almost down you pop your ult, get a ghost and rock the 6v4 that follows... however this will probably only happen 1ce in 100 team fights...
That is how a team fight should go, now even tough you know you can never plan everything you should always take all measures possible to ensure your team understand what it needs to, when it needs to do it and that it does it during the actual team fight.
Now that we have the perfect teamfight behind us let us narrow it down to your role. As a ''tanky'' dps-''caster'' (yes caster you have minimal range and you go down jsut as easily if you are CC'd) you should:
- do as much damage as possible, kinda obvious but you never know...sometimes the most obvious are the things that one overlooks the easiest =P
- protect your AD/AP carries
- get a ghost and USE IT!
Now how do you do all of this?
- when running into a fight use Creeping Death on yourself immediatley for more deffence and to make the enemy suffer the full 6 seconds of aoe damage it does. Then try to hit as many people as you can with Siphon of destruction, followed by an autoattack, Mace of Spades and another autoattack (it resets your auto's remember ;) ) After that the enemy shoud have take quite a bit of damage already, keep spamming you spells untill the AD carry or biggest threat to the team is at 1/4 HP, Ignite,Ult and Siphon, and you should have a ghost.
- Now protecting your carries is a more tricky business... First of all if you notice they are focusing one of these use your next Creeping Death on them, then try to burst down the enemy focusing them (it will usually be the carries so you're basically doing two jobs at once).
- How to get a ghost is described above, just wait till 1/4 HP and BOOM! Now actually use it in your fight. If the enemy dies press Alt emidiatley and send you ghost to the neares target (preferably the other enemy carry). After the team fight if your ghost is still alive push a tower.
If you are focused at the beginning of the fight I suggest you use your ult on the tank (that tactic has savd my life sooo many times and has enabled us to win the teamfight!) and maybee get tenancy items or items that remove debuffs.
Mordekaiser in Dominion
Now Mordekaiser would not be my first pick on dominion. He is very farm dependant and since there is no lane phase here he is cripled by that. His only strenght on the map would be to get an AD carry ghost and give your team a 6vs4 advantage, which is always nice.
However mordekaiser is pretty slow on this map and speed is everything here...
However if you absolutly want to go dominion with him I won't stop you, I'll even give you a nice build on the way, [aren't I a nice guys ;) ]
First off some general info:
Map (1): The usual path you should take if you're heading to the Windmill as fast as you can (use ghos immediately). The green point symbolizes a Speed Buff. Using that path you will use the fog of war (shown on map 3 as the darker areas). You are a very slow champ, I wouldn't necessarily advise you to take this path.
Map (2): Woah a whole Section just for one champ? Unfortunatley I'm not torlling, you will face many Shacos on Dominion. In my oppinion he is the second strongest champ on this map (besides Rammus). His Boxes are so anoying. They will kill you if you run to a health rune with low HP, they will slow you down when you want to defend a tower and they will give the enemy map awareness.
Map (3): The dark areas on the map are where the fog of war is active. In these areas you enemy can't see you. You should use these paths to get into the jungle unnoticed, or use the ones next to the towers to port back. You never know when a champ like Ezrael might fling his ult across the map to kill you if you stand with low hp in the open teleporting back!
For runes you should use speed or sellvamp quints, and stick to runes that might give you a little damage early on.
Summoner Spells is your choice again out of the four:
Ability sequence stays the same.
Use an offencive item build in dominion.
Build: 9/0/21 (because of the extra movementspeed)
I've seen Mordekaiser go both top and bot. I personaly don't have alot of experience with him in dominion though I must say I prefer him bot, for the simple reason he is really slow! Other advantages are since you level alot faster you wont be so squishy and Morde does deal quite a bit of damage! So you will be able to harasse your bot lane and sustain a bit. Added to that if you get a ghost you simply go for tower and have your ghost defend/delay the enemey.
Top he is viable for some burst damage and a ghost which will help enourmously in fights for the tower. You will also be a great defender, you might not have CC but you can harasse from the tower and you can sustain alot!
Basically your aim will be to get an enemy ghost and win a fight for a tower, so not much different than in SR.
Item build for Dominion:
>>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>>
Most important facts in one glance
Item Build Sequence
Skill sequence in battle:
>>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>>
PURPLE - You should put a vision ward here (ie. the purple) you are warding barron and dragon. If you have a purple here you will be ablte to destory enemy wards, if not adleast you have vision of it. Warding these is a must, whoever has barron/dragon controll usually wins the game!
BLUE/RED - Placing wards here will give you some view of the jungle as well as buff ''dominance''. You should always ward this if the enemy has a jungler or a buff dependant champ. Through these wars you will be able to glimpse the enemies intensions, if they want to gank somewhere or are just geting buff to be mroe effective in lane. With these in place you can easily gank you opponent.
(-> see countering junglers section)[/highlight]
BLACK - If the opponents have a jungler or a roamer you should definatley, it's pretty much a must, put a ward there. You will see the enemy before they want to gank you, and you can move out before they can engage.
Morde in Dominion:
GlossaryI'm sorry it's not in order of apperance I only though of this afterwards, I have aranged them alphabetically. If you have any questions on a word just ask.
Active: an item that has an ability you can use
AD: attack damage
AP: ability Power
CC: crown control (stuns, roots and slows)
CDR: cooldown reduction
DOT: damage over time
Farm: killing creeps or neutrals
Harass: dealing damage to the opponent without endangering yourself
Initiate: when you engage a fight first, usually with a stun or CC of some kind
Jungle: the ''forest''
Lane: the line where the towers are and the minions walk on
Last hit: waiting until a creep has only a sliver of his life left and then killing it with one stroke, this is used to not push a lane.
Mele: close combat fighter
MP: magic penetration
MR: Magic resist
Neutrals: monsters in jungle
Nuke/burst: do alot of damage in a smal amount of time
Passive: either refers to a champoins 5th skill (he can't use) or an item has an ability that you don't have to use and is active anyway.
Poke: to do a little damage before the fight with range attacks, not getting attacked yourself, with the intent of lowering you enemies HP so that u can engage and kill easier
Push: if you push a turret or creeplane you kill enemy creeps quickly and destory the enemy tower
Rangers: ranged fighters
Root: immobilizes a summoner
Silence: makes a summoner unable to cast spells
Smart cast: it is a setting in keybindings that u can activate so you no longer hve to click on an enemy to use the spell, you autoatically cast it on the enemy your mouse is hovering over (usefull if you want to spam alot)
Solo: on a lane alone/ or running around alone
Squishy: champs that don't have alot of defence or life
Stun: makes a summoner unable to do anything
Towerdive: When an enemy has low HP and is standing next to his tower you quickly jump in grab the kill and get back out, dngerous business because the tower will focus you.
Ult/ulti/ultimate: the r spell on each character
Zone : Zoning is the act when you stand behind your enemy creep lane not leting him near the creeps and so not leting him get exp or gold.
Mordekaiser is just overall AWESOME. Abilities are awesome, he looks wicked especially with skins =P
I can only recomend the penta team (Morde,Sona,Karthus and Yorik with an ad cary. I've never lost a game in that combination!)
I hope the guide Helped, i will update it as frequently as I can and I'm always open for new suggestions!
I appreciate anyone who has the time to read everything I wrote about this guide. It was a lot of work and time, but I enjoyed doing it ; )
Voidwatcher: for letting me use his video! I recomend all his videos, they are always interesting and fun to watch: http://www.youtube.com/user/Voidwatcher/videos
Drumike104: for his hilarious song: Watch his videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/Drumike107/featured
Panglot: For allowing me to use a part of his amazing ward guide! you'll find it here: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/warding-helper-more-than-your-eyes-can-see-54337
Nakuri: For an awesome Dominion pic. if anyone if looking for a Rumble guide go here ;) : http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=7326#chap20
FYA Umashi: for approving the guide and being a huge help!
And last but not least:
Thank You ShadowNet and TheUn4givenRage from who I learned a lot from.
You guys gave me the incentive to write and you deserve the credit for this guide!
Here are the links to their guides: